Background and goals of the project
The Western Balkans (WB6) countries have with the support of EU and other foreign factors made a significant efforts for ensuring peace, transition reforms and partly regional cooperation, in accordance with the EU enlargement policy and Berlin initiative. Nevertheless, the region is still rifted with the unresolved war crimes problems, with the lack of cooperation, with suspicious political and media discourses, with opened border and other problems, with mistrust, animosities, hate speech, with cleavages and hatred between people (mostly on ethnic and religious basis). The process of reconciliation among people and countries in WB6 region is the only possible route towards future peace, stability and economic development of the region. The process of reconciliation needs, first, education of new generations who will be the bearers of the implementation of the reconciliations tenets and of developing new mentality of population as a basic element of modernization and European integration. And this is the primary goal of ANETREC academic network supporting regional cooperation based on reconciliation in WB6 countries.
Thus the ANETREC academic network is supporting of academia in WB6 countries to the EU policy towards the Western Balkans with emphasis on regional cooperation based on reconciliation as a precondition for peace, stability and progress of the region.
Expected impact of the project:
The results of the Network, which is a first such attempt in WB6, will impact the improvement of existing (very scarce) and the elaboration of new individual or commonly agreed teaching subjects and research programs dedicated to the education and research for supporting the EU policy with emphasis on reconciliation process in WB6 and in other EU countries. The project will also educate and train teachers (mostly younger) who will be the bearers of the implementation of these ideas in different areas of social life and thus they will be able to contribute to the creation of pre-conditions for the European integration and progress of these countries and the area as a whole.
Having in mind the Project aims the teachers from partner institutions will:
- develop six virtual teaching courses relevant to the Project topic namely:
- The notion, development and critical assessment of the EU policy towards WB6 in the context of the present international political and security circumstances,
- Reconciliation in the post-conflicts environment in the WB6, as a precondition for the efficient implementation of the EU enlargement policy,
- The implementation of the concept of multiculturalism as an element for developing stability in multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-religious societies of particular WB6 countries and of the region as well,
- Respect of otherness, human rights and elimination of discrimination as one of preconditions for stability and European integration of WB 6 societies and a region as a whole,
- The role of religion in the process of reconciliation in WB6 and in developing good neighbourhood relations between nations and
- The problem of migration in the context of EU policy towards WB 6 with emphasis on regional cooperation in this field.
- Organise ANETREC Summer school for students from partners’ universities
- Elaborate researches to the Project topics together with recommendations for further development of teaching and research activities in the field of reconciliation topics in the region of WB6 and wider on Europe.
- Build up the ANETREC Academic Network and Open Access Database as reference Centre for WB6 region
The project actions realised so far:
1. MARIBOR PROJECT MEETING HELD ON 29.11.2019 – ADOPTED DOSCUMENTS:
The first ANETREC Project meeting was held in Maribor on 29 November 2019 in the premises of Faculty of Law, University of Maribor, Slovenia.
To the meeting were invited ANETREC Contact persons from PCU and professors who are primarily responsible for the realisation of the project’s actions. We select them in accordance with their expertise in particular topics and with foreseen contents of project actions.
– Detailed project program and time table for its realisation
– Defined frame contents and organisation of work for six ANETREC common virtual teaching courses, for summer school and for three researches
– Dissemination and communication strategy
– Draft Partnership agreements
– Nomination of project managerial board – 10 altogether
2. NOMINATION OF WORKING GROUPS OF ANETREC COURSES, SUMMER SCHOOL AND RESEARCHES
After thorough consultations with the managements of the partner institutions and based on considering their expertise and publications on particular topics the ANETREC Coordinator nominated the coordinator and responsible professors for the particular action and the consultants for these action as well. Eighty-eight (88) professors altogether (some of them took part in two actions) are responsible for the preparation and realisation of six ANETREC courses, of the summer school and of three researches. In addition, they are consulting any expert who could contribute to the perfection of the ANETREC action.
3. SIGNING OF PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT WITH RECTORS OF SIX PARTICIPATING UNIVERSITIES AND THE DIRECTOR OF THE INSTITUTE OF SOCIAL SCIENCES (BELGRADE) AND ELABORATING OF GUIDELINES FOR THE USE OF GRANT
The ANETREC Coordinator- the ISCOMET Institute, signed with participating institutions the Partnership agreements on realisation of the project (eight altogether). The agreements determine terms and provisions for both the realisation of foreseen activities of individual partner and of financing the realisation of actions assumed by individual partner. The agreements based on the work plan and on the budget confirmed by ANETREC Board.
In order to ensure smooth realisation of the project ISCOMET Institute prepared the Guidelines for the use of Grant, which will help partners to use funds according to the rules of the ERASMUS + programme.
4. ELABORATION OF THE REVISED PROGRAM AND TIMETABLE BECAUSE OF PANDEMIC RESTRICTIONS
Due to the complicated circumstances as the consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic has the ANETREC Coordinator – ISCOMET Institute prepared the revised version of the ANETREC timetable adopted at the first project meeting on 29. November 2019. WE slightly adjusted the timetable in accordance with the requirements of the public health in particular project countries. We replaced, for instance, the planed working session in Tirana with the ZOOM online consultations and the similar. The ANETREC partners agreed with the proposed alternations. The main problem will be in this regard how to organise the recording of ANETREC virtual lectures that we plan to organise at the end of September or at least at the beginning of October 2020. Due to the current (September 2020) and the probably forecast of the Covid-19 situation in all ANETREC partners countries it will be necessary to request the prolongation of the ANETREC project duration.
5. ANETREC Interim report on research 1: ANALYSES OF THE STATE OF AFFAIRS OF TEACHING AND RESEARCH IN PARTNERS’ UNIVERSITIES COMPREHENDING PARTICULAR ASPECTS OF EU POLICY TOWARDS WESTERN BALKANS WITH EMPHASIS ON THE TOPICS INCLUDED IN ANTEREC NETWORK PROJECT
Analyses comprehends the review of how are incorporated in the ANETREC partners’ university education and research programs different aspects of EU policy towards WB and especially the topics of ANTEREC project.
It includes the following topics:
– Cooperation on ANETREC topics between themselves and with other institutions
– Teaching and other programs related to EU policy towards WB with emphasis on project’s topics (reconciliation, multiculturalism, human rights and discrimination, the role of religions in reconciliation process, regional cooperation on migration)
– Form and number of study literature related to project topics
– Human capacities for executing the ANETREC courses and research
– Modes of possible implementation of ANETREC programme
– Availability of technical equipment for organising on-distance teaching
– List of key stakeholders at partner Universities.
We will simultaneously supplement the research during the project duration.
6. ANETREC ZOOM MEETINGS ON EXCHANGE OPINIONS OF MEMBERS OF WORKING GROUPS OF ANETREC COURSES, SUMMER SCHOOL AND RESEARCHES AND REGARDING THE COORDINATION WORK OF ANETREC PARTNER UNIVERSITIES CONTACT PERSONS
The ANETREC Coordinator organized from May to October 2020 twenty online ZOOM meetings with responsible people and consultants of six ANETREC courses, two researches with recommendations, the call for essays of students on ANETREC topics and the Summer School program and logistic matters. The aim of ZOOM discussions was to clarify the open questions, improve the contents of actions and to delimit the timetable for further activities regarding ANETREC actions. Besides, the ANETREC Coordinator organised ZOOM meetings with ANETREC partner universities’ contact persons aimed at clarifying in which way are they going to realise the ANETREC virtual classes or virtual lectures, what are their human resources for these purpose and what literature and technical equipment they have for organizing online teaching. The ANETREC Coordinator sent the conclusions of ZOOM meetings to all professors of seven universities who take part in different forms (responsible persons, consultants) in the ANETREC project realisation (55 people). We publish the 17th ANETREC circular letter as a relevant material concerning this information
7. PREPARATION OF TEMPORARY SYLLABUSES FOR SIX ANETREC COURSES
Under the guidance of the ANETREC Coordinator had the responsible professors and consultants of the six ANETREC virtual courses (45 altogether) discussed especially how to improve:
– The contents of each syllabus,
– Enlargement of Appendix 1 of the syllabus containing the names and CV of teachers, researchers, PHD students and other academics from the partner universities who are willing to take part in ANETREC course realisation or are interested to be involved in future common education and research projects in the field,
– To supplement the syllabus with Appendix 3 containing the list of literature (from Appendix 2) which is already available in the faculty or university library.
Until 25 November 2020 will the responsible professors submit to the ANETREC Coordinator the final text of syllabuses including the lectures that will be recorded and put on the ANTREC website where will be on disposal for organising virtual classes or lectures. We are publishing the temporary texts of courses.
8. PREPARATION FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION ON REPORT ON RESEARCH 2 (REVIEW OF THE SEGREGATION IN EDUCATION IN BOSNIA AND HERYEGOVINA WITH RECOMMENDATIONS HOW TO IMPROVE THE SITUATION)
The authors will until 15.10.2020 elaborate more detailed structure of the report and of the recommendations in particular and define to whom we will address it and with which aim. Besides, it will be necessary to elaborate also our proposal of common schools with the specific curricula as one of the ways for beginning the process of eliminating segregation. On the next ZOOM meeting, we will discuss this improved version of the report. It will be commendable to obtain comments or suggestions also of experts from the relevant authorities of Bosnia and Hercegovina on all levels. Until 25 November will the authors elaborate – after online consultations – the more detailed and elaborated report. We will online consider the report, probably in December, with larger number of interested expert. This report will be the background paper for the round table (Maribor is still in the revised program) and for the teachers and student’s discussion at the ANETREC Summer School in July 2021.
9. PREPARATION FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION OF REPORT ON RESEARCH 3 (ANALYSIS WITH RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE RECONCILIATION PROCESS BETWEEN SERBIA AND KOSOVO IN THE CONTEXT OF THE ENDEAVOURS FOR REGULATING THEIR RELATIONS IN LINE WITH EU REQUIREMENTS AND AGREEMENTS)
The report with recommendations should represent the proposal of contributions of academics and students from Serbia and Kosovo to the reconciliation process between the two countries aimed at creating a positive social environment also for the political process regulating the relations between the two countries. It is necessary to clearly define and explain each action / proposal. Until 25 October, will the authors send to the ANETREC Coordinator the improved draft of the report that will be the topic of the new ZOOM meeting. Until 25 November more elaborated proposal / report of the research 3 should be prepared, which could be probably in December online considered by larger number of interested colleagues of ANETREC project and other invited experts in the field. This report with recommendations will be the background paper for the round table (Maribor is still in the revised program) and for the teachers and student’s discussion at the ANETREC Summer School in July 2021.
10. PREPARATION OF THE CALL FOR STUDENTS ESSAYS ESSAYS (UP TO 6 PAGES) ON DIFFERENT ASPECTS OF RECONCILIATION PROCESSES IN WESTERN BALKANS IN THE CONTEXT OF EU POLICY TOWARDS THIS REGION
The preliminary title of the publication is “The future of the Western Balkans – students’ essays on reconciliation in WB “. Until 15 October 2020 will the ANETREC Contact persons send to the ANETREC Coordinator the names and contacts of persons at the partner universities who will be besides the Contact persons responsible for organising the call, evaluating the essays, and selecting five best essays for student participating at the ANETREC Summer School. Besides, they will send the names of persons who will be the members of editorial board for student essays publication. Franc Mlinar and Prof. Tilovska will prepare until 15 October 2020, for further discussions at the ZOOM meeting of the Editorial Board at the end of October or beginning of November, the improved draft call for students’ essays with suggestions on its organisation, timetable etc.
11. PREPARATION OF THE ANETREC SUMMER SCHOOL ON EU ENLARGEMENT POLICY TOWARDS THE WESTERN BALKANS WITH EMPHASIS ON COOPERATION OF THESE COUNTRIES BASED ON RECONCILIATION AS A PRECONDITION FOR ITS SUCCESS
Franc Mlinar and Prof. Tilovska will prepare until 15 October 2020 for further discussions at the ZOOM meeting of the ANETREC Contact persons at the end of October or beginning of November: 1) the improved draft program of ANETREC Summers School and 2) The review of organisation and financial issues concerning the realisation of ANETREC Summer School. We are publishing the temporary program of the ANETREC Summer School.
12. TECHNICAL PREPARATIONS FOR RECORDING THE ANETREC LECTURES
Until 25 November 2020 will professors who are responsible for preparing a given number of lectures of particular ANETREC course elaborate their lectures in line with the instructions, prepared by ISCOMET collaborator Dejan Paska, which we are publishing, enclosed to this information. Due to the Covid 19 pandemic situation, we will record the lecture in Maribor (Slovenia) and put on the ANETREC website. If this will not possible, we have to explore other possibilities for realising this ANETREC action.
13. TECHNICAL PREPARATIONS FOR ORGANISING VIRTUAL CLASSES AT PARTNERS’ UNIVERSITIES
In the Appendix 2 of the 16th circular letter of the ANETREC Coordinator were Instructions on necessary equipment for the realisation of the on-line courses at partner Universities prepared by the ISCOMET collaborator Dejan Paska. The ANETREC Coordinator requested the ANETREC Contact persons to send him information on the situation at partner universities in order to have a picture of the situation in this regard.
15. ANETREC PROJECT WEBPAGE
The ANETREC project webpage is: 1) the info hub, which includes all information on the project and its activities, 2) the key communication tool between project partners and members of project target groups, final beneficiaries, stakeholders and the general public, 3) the open access database, which will provide the partner universities, among other, with the access to recorded ANETTREC virtual lectures and related data, 4) the database for common virtual teaching and research activities after the conclusion of the ANETREC project. The project webpage is accessible on: www.anetrec.eu .
16. ELABORATION OF LOGO, LETTER LAYOUTS, LEAFLET AND OF PROMO MATERIAL (PENCILS AND USB MEMORY KEYS)
In order to increase the project dissemination impact and its visibility we produce the following info and promo material:
1. Project Logo; different proposals for ANETREC logo ware prepared. On the first project meeting in Maribor the present project logo was selected.
Project logo presents the region of Western Balkans without borders and with cooperation aspirations. The European stars presents the European Union values and integration aspiration of the region of Western Balkans into European Union. The logo is used in all project communications.
2. In order to unify project communication within and outside the project the ANETREC latter layout was prepared. On top left side is place for the logo and contact data of organisation, which is making communication.
3. Project developed promotional material aimed at attraction attention of both members of project targets groups (teachers, students, project stakeholders, etc.) and project final beneficiaries (potential students at Partner Universities).
So far, we developed promo pencils and USB memory keys. It is planned that special T-shits will be prepared for the needs of the ANETREC summer school in 2021.
17. ANETREC NEWSLETTER NR. 1
In order to increase the info, knowledge and impact of project results on Project target groups and to inform project’s final beneficiaries and stakeholders (local and EU) and other wider public on project’ progress its results and impact ISCOMET Institute prepared in cooperation with project partners special ANETREC newsletters. There will be 6 newsletters altogether.
The aim of the newsletters is in particular: 1) contribution to the promotion and dissemination of the information and knowledge regarding the project actions, 2) positioning the project in a national context and establishing an attractive image of the project for the target groups/ beneficiaries, 3) identifying and involving a potentially audience.
In addition, the newsletters will contribute to the visibility of the project and EU in general.
In the first newsletter, we put emphasis on the presentation of the project and its goals. E-version of the newsletters was distributed through the e-channels (project web page, web pages of project partner institutions, social media, send to e-addresses that partner institutions have in their databases, etc.).
18. ELABORATION OF REPORT ON PROJECT ACTIVITIES FOR EACEA UNTIL 31 AUGUST 2020
In accordance with the Grant decision submitted ISCOMET Institute, the ANETREC project coordinator the technical report on the realisation of the project actions in the first project year (till 31 August 2020).
19. UP-LOADING THE RESULTS AND OUTCOMES ON THE ANETREC (BENEFICIARY’S) DASHBOARD
Project coordinator ISCOMET Institute up-loaded all project results and outcomes realised in the first project year (1 September 2019 – 30 September 2020).
Up-loading the results and outcomes on the ANETREC (beneficiary’s) dashboard
20. ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE ANETREC STUDENTS CALL FOR ESSAYS ON WESTERN BALKANS TOPICS
The aim of the call is to give the opportunity to ANETREC universities students to express their views on questions related to the European integration of their countries, on the EU policy in this regard and on the situation of their countries concerning specific situations related to the European integration. The proposed topics “cover” the contents of ANETREC project courses and researches. The call has been organised by ANETREC universities Contact person in the period of February to May 2021. The participating students will receive a certificate of participation signed by the Project Coordinator and the dean of the Faculty. Forty-five the best-evaluated essays (5 from each university) will be published in e-version publication. We will invite their authors to the ANETREC Summer School on which they will organise the presentation and discussion of these topics and elaborate recommendations to the educational authorities, competent EU bodies and civil society in this regard.
21. NOMINATION OF WORKING GROUPS RELATED TO REALISATION OF ANETREC STUDENT CALL FOR ESSAYS
In order to realise efficiently the ANETREC call for students essays the Project coordinator nominated 9 organizers and the members of 9 evaluation commissions and of the Editorial board. After the zoom meeting with the Project Coordinator the organisers adopt all the necessary measures for realising in due time the call at their universities. After the conclusion of the call, will the members of Evaluation commissions mark the quality of essays and thus select five students who will attend the ANETREC Summer School. The Editorial board will prepare the e-publication of the selected essays.
22. PROPOSAL OF REVISED ANETREC PROGRAM BECAUSE OF PANDEMIC CONSEQUENCES
In spite of pandemic consequences which are very hard in the area of Western Balkans (lockdown of universities, high spreading of infections also among project participants, the lack of vaccine, prohibition of travel and of physical contacts and the similar) we have with great efforts realised all project actions that were possible to realise on line in the given circumstances. Nevertheless, we could not realise especially those actions, which we could not organise because of pandemic circumstances and restrictions. After the consultations with project partners, we had prepared and asked EACEA for approval the revised version of the ANETREC project program 2021-2023, which in new timing include all! Project actions. Hoping that EACEA will approve our proposal, we are nonstop continuing the realisation of the project activities which are possible to realise in the pandemic circumstances.
23. FINAL ELABORATION OF THE ANETREC COURSES 1-6 SYLLABUSES
The members of working groups and consultants are responsible for the elaboration of each syllabus with appendixes (see the list of members of working groups); when necessary, we consult other experts. The structure of the ANETREC courses 1-6 syllabuses consists not only the usually data of the syllabus but also all the necessary or convenient matters needed for the efficient realisation of the educational program in the particular field. As an example, see the attached syllabus for ANETREC course 4. The covid 19 pandemic causes many troubles for the efficient preparation of ANTREC courses 1-8 syllabuses and relevant appendixes (lockdown, illness of members, the necessity to change the coordinators and the similar).
24. POTENTIAL TEACHERS AND RESEARCHERS
The CV of teachers were the main criteria for their nomination for realising particular ANETEC courses. The aim of the broader list of teachers and researchers is to provide the names of those experts who are after the conclusion of the ANETREC project willing to take part: 1. In elaborating new education and research programs in the frame of the ANETREC academic network or 2. In the work of the proposed EU’s, reference centre for the Western Balkans. Until writing this text, we collected the names of 118 teachers (on impetus on younger ones) who are in principle willing to take part in the future education and research projects.
25. THE BROAD COLLECTION OF LITERATURE FOR ANETREC COURSES
Each ANETREC course syllabus has the list of mandatory and recommended literature. However, in its Appendix we have gathered a broader list of titles related to the given topic. The aim of this action is to provide the basis for further education and research projects after the conclusion of the ANETREC project and for the library of the EU’s reference centre for Western Balkans if the competent EU bodies will accept our proposal.
26. THE LIST OF LITERATURE AVAILABLE AT PARTNER UNIVERSITIES
The aim of this list is to stimulate the universities and research centres for purchasing the relevant literature in order to facilitate the elaboration of new education and research programs in the field of Western Balkans studies.
27. PREPARATION FOR RECORDING IN MARIBOR
It was planned to begin with recording lectures at the premises of the Faculty of law in Maribor in 2020 in order to prepare the “infrastructure” for beginning of online lectures at ANETREC partner universities in the academic year 2020/2021. However, because of the consequences of the pandemic (lockdown, restrictions of travelling, prohibition of physical gathering and the similar) we had to postpone these activities and in April 2021 is not clear if it will be possible to realise them – as proposed in the revised program – in June 2021. Nevertheless, we had realised all actions that were possible in the given circumstances in compliance with instructions to the lecturers, which include the ANETREC power point layout. On this basis, they are preparing material in advance (power points, scripts and outline of the lectures). Video recording technical expert is simultaneously reviewing the material in order to improve it and to organise video recording smoothly and efficiently.
28. COLLECTING POWER POINTS OF ANETREC COURSES 1-6 LECTURES
We will video record for 6 ANETREC courses more than 90 lectures. Based on technical instructions are the lecturers (35 professors from all partners’ universities) preparing materials for video recording of their lectures. Basic supporting material are power points together with outline of the lecture that need to be prepared in accordance with recording requirements in order to enable recording technicians to prepare recording scripts and post-recording processing and preparing for publishing. We will insert the recorded lectures with necessary additional information in the ANETTREC open access database. It will be the main tool for realising by local professors the online lectures at project partners’ universities whenever it is possible with the online participation of the given lecturer. We are expecting to conclude the preparation of material for recording until June 2021 and finish the inserting it in the ANETREC database until the beginning of the academic year 2021/2022.
29. THE WAYS AND METHODS OF REALISING THE ANETREC COURSES AT PARTNER UNIVERSITIES
We tried from the very beginning find out how the partner universities intend to realise the ANETREC courses 1-6 on line. Therefore, we had together with the finalisation of the syllabuses and pertinent other materials, gathered also the first reflections of partner universities on the ways and means for the ANETREC project program online realisation (see the information in attachment). Before the beginning of academic year 2021-2022, we will, based on that information, organise a thorough discussion of these matters with the partner universities management. In this way, we will elaborate an overall view on the realisation of the ANETREC project program that will be of use also as a starting point for further elaboration of education and research projects after the conclusion of ANETREC.